• [En]
  • [Fr]
  • [Es]
  • [De]
  • [It]

Special Permits and Licenses in Malta

Special Permits and Licenses in Malta

Updated on Tuesday 19th April 2016

Rate this article

based on 2 reviews

Special-Permits-and-Licenses-in-MaltaMalta, even if it is a small country, attracts many foreign investors due to its pro-business facilities and the tax-friendly environment for those wanting to make long-term investments. However, Malta has limitations or requires special permits or licenses for some types of businesses or for foreigners wanting to buy properties in the country. Among the businesses requiring licenses, there are the tourism accommodation facilities or companies involved in handling foodstuff.

The trade license in Malta

According to the Department of Commerce, there are some requirements for Maltese companies involved in manufacturing or engineering activities. These types of companies must obtain a special permit from the Trade Licensing Directorate. Before receiving the license, companies must abide by regulations regarding environmental and waste control. Before applying for the trade license, companies must obtain all necessary permits from the Malta Environment and Planning Authority (MEPA).

Trading licenses are required for companies operating with food and drinks, but also for beauty salons, spa and fitness facilities. Before applying for the trade license, these types of companies must obtain a No Objection Declaration from the Environmental Health Directorate.

The documents that must be submitted with the Trade Licensing Directorate are:

  • -        copies of identification papers;
  • -        foreign citizens must submit the ETC (Employment and Training Corporation) permit;
  • -        the No Objection Declaration;
  • -        a development class number and a building permit number issued by the MEPA (if required).

The application is submitted online and it takes about 10 days for the trading license to be released.

Special licenses and permits issued by the Malta Tourism Authority

For catering businesses, a special license, called catering establishment license from the Malta Tourism Authority (MTA), must be issued and it takes around 20 days to be released.

The first step for obtaining the catering establishment permit is to submit an application form with the MTA. The following documents must also be submitted with the MTA:

  • -        a criminal record issued by the police;
  • -        copies after the identification papers;
  • -        receipt after the payment of the application fee;
  • -        blue prints drafted by an architect;
  • -        land department permit and photos of the property (where applicable);
  • -        copy after the articles of association of the company;
  • -        lease contract proving the value of the bar area to be rented.

Upon submitting these documents, the MTA will issue the Tourism Compliance Certificate.

The final step for receiving the catering establishment license will be to submit all the relevant documents with the Licensing Administration department in the MTA:

  • -        development permit issued by the MEPA;
  • -        authorization from the Public Health Department;
  • -        the public sewer discharge permit issued by the Water Services Corporation;
  • -        a CV of the chef;
  • -        copy after the menu;
  • -        a fire safety certificate.

Catering venues must also file an application with the Department of Environmental Health for a food safety certificate.

The tourism permit is part of the category of special licenses issued by the Malta Tourism Authority. The following types of businesses in Malta require tourism licenses: outgoing and incoming tourism agents, excursion organizers and destination management companies.

The following documents must be submitted in order to receive a tourism permit in Malta:

  • -        a receipt after paying the registration fee;
  • -        identification papers copies and criminal record of the applicant;
  • -        the CV of the operator;
  • -        blue prints of the business area;
  • -        companies must submit copies after the articles of association;
  • -        a development permit issued by the MEPA;
  • -        third party accountability insurance;

Other documents providing the specific or the company or operator may be requested also.

After all the documents have been filed, the MTA must inspect the location before allowing the company to start operating.

The acquisition of immovable property - AIP permits in Malta

According to the Acquisition of Immovable Property Act, foreign citizens who want to buy a property in Malta must file a request for an AIP permit. Issuing an AIP permit in Malta takes up to 35 days and it is conditioned by the following:

  • -        the minimum value of the property is approximately 102,000 EUR for an apartment and approximately 170,000 EUR for other properties;
  • -        the property is bought for living purposes and rental is not allowed;
  • -        the property cannot be divided and sold.

In order to receive the Maltese AIP permit, the buyer must submit two passport-sized photographs, copy of the passport, copy of the pre-sale contract and a receipt proving the fee payment.

If you want to set up a business or buy a property and need details about the special licenses requested by the authorities, you can contact our law firm in Malta.



There are no comments

Comments & Requests

Please note that client queries should NOT be posted here but sent through our Contact page.