• [En]
  • [Fr]
  • [Es]
  • [De]
  • [It]

Obtaining Work Permit in Malta

Obtaining Work Permit in Malta

Updated on Tuesday 19th April 2016

Rate this article

based on 0 reviews

Obtain-Work-Permit-in-MaltaThe legislation empowering foreign citizens to take employment in Malta is the Immigration Act. Citizens of non-EU/EFTA (European Free Trade Association) countries are required to apply for a work permit in order to be allowed to work in Malta. Starting with 2005, Maltese employment licenses are issued by the Employment and Training Corporation. It must also be taken into consideration that the employer must apply for the work license on behalf of the foreign citizen. Starting with 2014, when the Legal Notice 160 was issued, the authorization for third country is done through the issuance of a single permit application which enables a foreign citizen to both work and live in Malta. The new document is called an e-residence card.

Obtaining a Maltese e-residence card

Foreign citizens intending to work in Malta for a period longer than three months are required to apply for a Maltese employment license or e-residence card. The validity of the work visa depends on the type of application submitted with the Employment and Training Corporation. The new Maltese work permit application forms are:

  • - CEA form J for individuals with economic self-sufficiency,
  • - CEA form M for students,
  • - CEA form A for employment and self-employment,
  • - CEA form F for family members.

The additional documents required when applying for a work permit in Malta are:

  • - proof of professional certifications,
  • - the applicant’s curriculum vitae,
  • - a passport-sized photo,
  • - proof that the Maltese company has searched for a Maltese or EU citizen for the job.

The future employee may also be required to submit a clean criminal record and to obtain medical clearance. For a detailed list with all the supporting documents when applying for an employment license, you may ask our lawyers in Malta.

Maltese work permits for self-employed individuals

Foreign country citizens may be allowed to work as sole traders in Malta only in exceptional cases. These cases are:

  • - skilled individual submitting a solid business plan and committing to employ EU citizens,
  • - individuals with a capital investment amounting to at least 100,000 euros,
  • - sole entrepreneur of a foreign company wanting to set up a branch in Malta.

For complete information about applying for an employment license, please contact our Maltese law firm.



There are no comments

Comments & Requests

Please note that client queries should NOT be posted here but sent through our Contact page.